Re: [pyrnet] GPCA

Sandy,
    This is really exactly what the GPCA does through the 22 or so (is it 22 or
21 now?) regional clubs.  My regional club runs newspaper ads asking for people
to call for info about the breed, the club, rescue dogs etc.  Many regional
clubs have groups that train their dogs in obedience, carting, etc and/or  take
their Pyrs to hospitals as therapy dogs. All of the regional clubs are very
active in finding homes for unwanted Pyrs. Regional clubs have fun days, health
clinics, training sessions and grooming sessions. We do many public education
things....some just as simple as taking our dogs in the annual Christmas parade
and passing out info about the breed.  There are quite a few clubs that set up
booths at sheep festivals (unfortunately the big festival in our area has turned
down our request to set up a booth with info about livestock guardian dogs for 3
years in a row) The GPCA and regional clubs have excellent printed info about
livestock guardian dogs..  Since the GPCA is really a membership group with
members all over the world, the only time everyone can get together is at the
National specialty which is in a different part of the US each year.
    Hopefully, the current idea about associate memberships will be approved by
the AKC.  That would definately solve the problem of open membership and would
allow everyone to join..  In the past, it was the AKC which would not allow any
sort of non-voting membership.
Charlotte