Re: [pyrnet] Re: Supplements

Bridget, First, IMO as kibbles go, Nutro is one of the best. Now,
as far as any kibble containing supplements such as Glucosamine
(I have not actually read the label on the Nutro however) the
ones I've actually seen that contain such do not have enough in
it to do much of anything. IMO more or less a marketing ploy.
Today I worked at my Vet's and did take a look at the Eukanuba
diet for Seniors that contains Glucosamine. As per the label, the
amounts were given in PPM (parts per million I assume?) How the
h*** is anyone supposed to judge how much is in there? So, say,
if your dog needs 1500 mgs. a day as B.B. did, would she need to
eat 2 cups or 20 to get the needed amount? Did not have the time
BTW to really study the label, perhaps someone on the list has a
bag and can email us the pertinent info? As far as the raw meat
goes, although I do not feed BARF, I do, IMO feed the next best
thing. The raw meat my dogs get is made by my dog food company
and is a complete and balanced diet. I have never had a problem
as far as the dogs developing a "taste for blood" so to speak. I
do know of a litter of kittens that were found in deplorable
condition at about 4 weeks of age (guestimate of course) that
were raised on the raw meat from my dog food company and all are
thriving! The one kitten that remains with the Rescuers of the
litter still eats it. My male cat (neutered of course)
occasionally gets the raw and has absolutely no interest in my
'Tiels. My kitten (recently spayed) who also eats it
occasionally, sleeps on top of the tall birdcage but has made no
move to harm the birds, one of which has total freedom. So, I
doubt that the introduction of raw meat into your cat's diet had
much to do with it. But, you never know. As far as the poison
oak/ivy goes, my Son ended up getting it and he used Fels Naphtha
(laundry soap that comes in a bar) to wash with, although it did
not completely get rid of it, it did manage to dry it up and stop
the itching in record time. I do not, however, know how it would
effect a dog's skin as I've never had occasion to use it on one
of the dogs.

Never ever let a Pyr near wet paint. They'll rub in it every
time! LOL!

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs) & Flopsy (Pyr Shep)
bamb@monmouth.com