Re: [pyrnet] Choke chains

<<I have also been reading quite a few reports about neck injuries caused by
those Halti collars. I assume that is when people use them improperly, but
it
does give me pause. I would rather use a tool that I have been trained to
use
properly than jump on the newest bandwagon. >>Elaine

Not exactly new - the club I teach at has been using them for many years.
We do however, accompany any recommendation to use one with a one on one
session where we fit the halti/gentle leader, and teach the owner how to use
it properly.  Like anything, it is a tool to help with training, not a
replacement for it.  Even a fixed buckle collar can be abused and misused in
the wrong hands.

I have found the halti/gentle leader to be a safe and effective tool and
very useful for people with big dogs that pull etc.  It basically requires
the use of 'less' strength or energy to have 'control' and this can be
useful if the person handling the dog is smaller or older for example. It
helps the handler to gain control both physically and psychologically (that
band over the nose in some ways imitates a dominance gesture of mouth or
hand over the muzzle) so that learning can take place. There is a very
well-known saying - "Control the head, control the dog".

One case sticks out very well in my mind.  A Maremma who when out around
other people and dogs with its owner felt it had to be in control and
challenge everyone who came near.  The owner had no control even using a
choke chain (we don't use prong collars in this country - they are banned).
Fitting a Halti to this particular dog 'allowed' it to relinquish enough
control and leadership to its owner so that further learning could take
place.  The dog had to learn to 'trust' its owner as leader and not try to
do the job itself all the time.  The halti helped that process and it was
amazing to see the dog visibly relax when it had the Halti on and its
responsibility for being in control was 'abdicated' to its owner.

Tracy Bassett
Canberra, Australia
espinay@dynamite.com.au
visit my webpage at http://members.dynamite.com.au/espinay/index.htm