Re: [pyrnet] Choke chains

In a message dated 10/13/2000 6:43:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
espinay@dynamite.com.au writes:

<< Not exactly new - the club I teach at has been using them for many years.
 We do however, accompany any recommendation to use one with a one on one
 session where we fit the halti/gentle leader, and teach the owner how to use
 it properly.  Like anything, it is a tool to help with training, not a
 replacement for it.  Even a fixed buckle collar can be abused and misused in
 the wrong hands. >>

Tracey,
    When I say "new", I mean that I have just been hearing about the Halti
for the past year and a half in the states. It was probably around, it just
didn't get wide-spread recognition until lately. I tend to be fairly
conservative trying new things when I have something that works for me. I
prefer to have other people do the testing for me.
    I was doing research on the Halti for a friend of mine that could not
effectively use a choke due to back problems. I did see some glowing
testimonials, but also found a couple reports of severe neck injuries. This
could be due to untrained users. One of the reports discussed that while
controlling the head of a horse with a halter is effective and safe, it is
not as safe for dogs due to differences in the neck structure.
    I will try to find the site where I saw that report and post it, it will
better illustrate my concerns.

Elaine and Pico