Re: [pyrnet] Dwarf/dwarf breedings.

----- Original Message -----
From: Smith, Deborah <dsmith@iolinc.net>

    This is very interesting.  Since he is only one inch shorter than the
standard calls for in minimums for males, what does he look like that
brought up suspicious to have him evaluated in the first place?>>

It's really hard to put it in words.  He was about 9 weeks when the x-ray
diagnosis was made.  I did not see him so I am just passing along what his
breeder said to me over several conversations.  The gist of it is that he
just did not look quite "right" based on this breeders decades of looking
at Pyr pups at all ages and stages.  His front was just "funny".  Neither
of us speculated that he was a dwarf, just that there was clearly something
"wrong".  Now that isn't very helpful is it?  I realize that.  Anyway, the
breeder took the pup to his vet to have him x-rayed.  The x-rays were sent
to a local, excellent orthopedist who said that he might well be a dwarf.
At that point the plates went to Pullman where Alexander/Sande gave the
same diagnosis.

The "size" came later, although he was not markedly smaller than his
littermates even as a very young pup.  He just kept growing at a normal
rate.  He is a conundrum and a puzzlement to the breed.  Mal dwarfs do (not
uncommonly) look very similar.  So, are we dealing with a variation on a
theme, in which case dwarfs may well have been "missed" in the past, or is
he something different?

PS.  I'm not sure that he is really 26".  He could well be closer to 25".

Linda