Re: [pyrnet] Feedback on Amimal Planet presentation on Pyrs?

<< Darrell if I understand your comment, If one does not fuel the demand
> for
> pets who will adopt all the rescues from the working breeders that we
> inherit?>>

Actually, we could use quite a few of those adoptive pet homes here in
TX right now *g*. As usual, we have large numbers of rescues available.

I suppose the show could generate additional interest in the breed from
livestock producers, but my feeling is that (hopefully) that is not
really a target-type audience for Animal Planet.

What I mean is that, for the most part, the show did not present Pyrs as
a sweet, cuddly, beautiful "got to have it" breed with huge appeal as
pets to people who know nothing about the breed except what they saw on
the program. And that, I think, is a good thing. We would not want a
"101 Dalmatians" scenario.

If they watched both shows yesterday, I think people seeking a large,
furry dog for a pet will be much more interested in a Newf instead.

<<IMHO, the breed is in danger of being controlled in
> the
> publics mind by this ever increasing segment of the fancy and that
> will not
> bode well for the breed at all.>>

In this part of the country, at least, the farm/ranch segment is already
firmly in control.

Darrell Goolsbee
Fort Worth, TX