Re: [pyrnet] Foot and mouth disease?

<<     Is there a vaccination or anything for this with sheep or goats?
> How bad is it with horses even though they are not cloven?  And is
> there any risk of it in the US at this time?  We have one bottle fed
> pet sheep and the horses and goat are pets as well, would break my
> heart if something like this happened.>>

The U.S. has not had an outbreak of foot and mouth disease since 1929.

From what I have read about this disease, the consequences appear to be
more to the economy rather than to health. It has been described as a
"bad cold," and most animals do survive it (or would, if they were not
killed to stop its spread). And it has no effect on human health at all.

But any livestock touched by this disease cannot be sold for slaughter
or be moved or exported, which is why it has a big economic punch. And
it is spread VERY easily. Basically by "anything that moves," including
the wind.

It is a crisis-type disease in any livestock producing country. But in
poorer countries that don't export stock, they just let it run its
course.

Darrell Goolsbee
Fort Worth, TX