Re: [pyrnet] Charlotte/Boot Camp

Actually, dogs can be taught that children are not littermates and are higher ranking than they in the pack order. First order of business is to have the children take turns feeding the dog. Have them "pretend" to eat something out of the dish, within the dog's sight, before setting it down. (barring food aggression problems with humans and always with adult supervision) Have them put the dog in a sit before petting it. If the dog does not sit, they do not pet it. Let them do some minor obedience work on lead. (again, under supervision) My own kids were doing these things at very yound ages. When my son was 3, he was out in the front yard riding his Big Wheel up and down the sidewalk leading to the house. I ran to anwer the phone. (it was an annoying sales call and I hung up immediately) went out to watch him and he was in the street! He had one of the dogs out there with him in a Down Stay! The dog was trembling with fear. The DOG knew he WAS NOT allowed in the street! <G> Tip was gently called to me. (he belly crawled the whole way) the child was brought in the house and received his first spanking. The child never did that again. The dog had not been a problem prior to and did not become one, after. <G> Talk to your behaviorist about how to make the dog recognize that the children are above him in pack ranking.

Barb Bowes
Bo & Chelsea (Pyrs), Flopsy (Pyr Shep) & Machin (Doxie)
bamb@monmouth.com