Re: [pyrnet] Behavior: rescue pyr attack on cat

I hope some of you can give me advice on this.  We just placed a female pyr
in a household with a declawed, very dog-friendly cat.  They attempted to
introduce them slowly and in a controlled manner and she kept trying to get
at the cat.  They took a break and put the cat downstairs but someone opened
the door, the cat got up and the pyr was on the cat with her jaws clamped on
the cat before they could even react.  It took two adults all their strength
to get her to drop the cat.  The cat is fine but very shaken, and the two
little girls in the family are very distressed.  These are very dog-savvy
people who have fostered dogs and owned dogs for many years but have never
had this situation before and neither have I.  Is there any hope for getting
this pyr to learn the leave the cat alone, and if so, how?  Or is it likely
that this behavior will not change?
This is a very urgent situation so any quick replies would be very
appreciated!!!!!  Thank you!
Tara Morrison, Rescue Chair
NorthStar Great Pyrenees Club
morri051@tc.umn.edu or monterrapyrs@yahoo.com