Sent: Sunday, August 19, 2001 4:06 PM
Subject: [pyrnet] A long story revisited

Pyrfolks,

I have been reading the replies To "a long story" and felt the need to write.  I am Jerry's fiancée and Angus' mom.  I must preface this by saying that Jerry was absolutely right, I am head over heels in love with this dog, so my statements are highly biased.  I have read all of the replies and am curious.  I am in no way definitive or convinced that this isolated behavior is a harbinger of doom in regards to his temperament or behavior.  All the responses seem to refer to dogs that showed a tendency to be aggressive behavior with strangers or a tendency to bite.  We have had Angus for about eight months now and he has never displayed an aggressive nature.  Two weeks ago, I took a piece of chicken out of his mouth and got not so much as a growl from him, and Jerry is the master, I'm the mommy.  Also, unless I misread the replies, these dogs have not had exposure to children or strangers.  Angus has been excessively exposed to both.  He is a beautiful animal and people approach him without ever asking, "is it safe?" (idiots) and has been manhandled/mauled/petted and otherwise loved on by all species of strangers and never once been even remotely irritated let alone aggressive in these situations.  I must also say that Angus was out of his routine environment when this happened.  He has played with this boy on numerous occasions when in our back yard, and though the resultant behavior is inexcusable, I cannot believe that he didn't believe that this was what was expected of him in THIS environment.  And before you jump to the conclusion that I am one of those wingnuts who puts the well-being of dogs before the well-being of human, might I remind you that I am a physician, one who has dedicated her life to the care, well-being and love of the human breed.  I am extremely distressed regarding this situation and am desperately trying to come to the "right" decision.  This is the first time in nearly two years that we have come to a parting of the ways and I feel very isolated and confused.  I feel almost forced to choose between the man I love and the fuzzy love of my life...and this is no small statement considering the fact that I though that Elmo was THE ultimate dog of all time, and I would likely not be engaged to his daddy had it not been for his undying charm-Elmo's that is.  I have often thought that in the grand scheme of things, Elmo sent Angus to us.  So...I need some unbiased, less black and white opinions about this situation.  I am sorry this has gone on so long, but this is truly one of the more distressing decisions I have ever had to make...and remember, I make life and death decisions for a living.

Warmest regards,
Denise