Re: [pyrnet] Intro & new pup questions

pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org writes:
>First, Just getting back into being owned by a pet after many years.
>
>I have had some large breed experience with Newfs, but have found my self
>the
>smitten "owner" of a beautiful 13 week old Pyr female named Luka. Now for
>some questions.....:)
>
>1. It seems like I may have a Pyr with some newf tendencies - likes to
>splash the water out of the bowl and then lounge around.... Normal??
Sounds just like all of ours! Try putting an ice cube in the water and
watch the fun!!

>2. She definately does not like the word no... shakes her head and seems
>to throw a fit...
>
>3. Just how headstrong are they?? She will walk on a lead, (with harness,
>not a collar, yet) but again seems to have those times when "Darn it I
>want to go here!!!"  Just more training on a lead???
More training on a lead, but you're not likely to ever have her completely
stop trying to go her way!! Independence bordering on stubbornness is a
breed characteristic.

>4. Are they all so observant???? She actually watches small planes
>leaving the  airport nearby as they fly overhead... as well as airborne
>birds...
I don't think they all are, but our Paddington was, and now Tori is even
more so. She watches everything really intently and seems to rely on
vision more than any other sense. She notices immediately if we wear
something different, come in after a haircut, etc. And yes, watches birds
fly over, planes; we can hardly wait for her to try to watch each leaf
that comes down in the Fall!

>5. Finally...... is there a cure for this madness????? :)
What madness? Luka's behavior? Probably not--but you'll learn to love it,
laugh at it, wonder what you did for entertainment before she came into
you life.
Your own smittenness with her? Only one cure--enjoy her for a few months,
then the potato chip factor will kick in and you'll have to get another.

Ann, Peg, Ivy Rose and Tori