Re: [pyrnet] Cruciate Ligament Disease

My information is lateral patella luxation happens more commonly
in the giant breeds while medial is more common in smaller
breeds.  I've heard the other info but only for smaller breeds, medial
younger and lateral older.  In the giant breeds lateral is more
common and happens even young.  Of the two a lateral is harder to
fix.  The success rate goes down on a lateral, 80% compared to
around 95% on a medial.  Arthritis almost always forms and when
the fix is done a lateral slip usually degrades a tendon that has to
be fixed when surgery is done.

Janice, janices@austin.rr.com
Lana & Linsey (newfs), Sonny (pyr)
http://home.austin.rr.com/janices/