Re: [pyrnet] My Best Friend

    Welcome Nancy!  I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.  I'm afraid that I can't
be of any help to regarding the tumor problem.  We've had Pyrs for 32 years and,
having belonged to the local and National Pyr clubs for all of that time, have
known many Pyr breeders over the years but have never heard of a tumor problem
such as you describe.  Unfortunately, you can never predict when a new health
problem may appear. So far, in my experience anyway, this is not a problem in
the general Pyr population.
        About drooling, there is no question that some "families" have tighter
mouths than others.   You can look at the parents of a pup and see if they have
tight lips (they have a "smile" as opposed to drooping lips).
    As a livestock guardian dog, a Great Pyrenees is suposed to warn the bears
and wolves away and  they will bark.  Mine are pretty good in the house.
Personally, if I had a problem with neighbors complaining, I think I would
prefer to have mine debarked surgically so that they cand still act like they
are barking. I have a problem with using harsh methods like a shock collar.
Although we have never done the surgery, I've known many people who have been
happy with it.
Charlotte