Re: [pyrnet] NOAH

   Kirsten, my Mary  sends regards to Noah, and in her best Mae West
imitation asks:  "Why don't you come up and see me sometime!"  Will
you groom Noah, or will your hubby?  Mary hates it, but looks like a
beauty queen afterward.
   If Noah is to be your LGD for the goats, you are doing right to put
him with them from day one.
   I want to get a Pyr female puppy next spring, so Mary can
train her.
   I find the beautiful thing about Pyrs as livestock dogs is that
they operate from that Pyr instinct and should never be punished for
following their instinct.  They are born with the equipment they need,
and trying to change them only confuses them and if carried far enough
will make a porch dog out of them.  They know what they are doing, and
don't need our help.  Those that fail as livestock dogs, and I suspect
they are a very small number, probably had someone trying to teaches
them something that goes against the Pyr instinct.
  Noah will be a gem, and if I presumed to offer any advice, it would
be simply to let him follow the Pyr instinct.  Of course, he may have
to be corrected for doing things like
jumping up open you (if you object to that. I don't.)  At about six
months, I would talk to him like a human, offering only the mildest
scolding.  Others on the list know a lot more about Pyrs than I, but I
have not had this approach fail.
   Just watch the quality of the feed.  It takes quite a bit to
power an animal that size.  If he is  active, it is all the more
important.  Don't overdose him on wormers.  They can scar his stomach
and spoil his ability to digest the food.  Then you have a listless
Pyr.
   Good luck with Noah, and may he live a long and happy life.

Hermit in the Woods, singing "It's a Pyr, Dear!?