[pyrnet] Good Morning re: reading dogs

reading dogs" , You say ?--Now We all know how smart our Pyrs. are, but, They can also read ?  Really, my Dear !!

No , perish the thought !  Our dogs can't read !  (not yet, anyway ! )
Last Nite, Nancy H. and I  attended a meeting that was presented by North Florida Paws, in conjunction with the Humane Society of Alachua County~~~
Here's the story : It has been found,(and this is NO suprise to some), that  many children grow up not wanting to /or can't read ! Many times, this has been brought on by a traumatic experience in early school days due to the fact that a child may have trouble reading, but, is put in front of the class, where He/She is laughed at / made fun of by the other children~This , of course, convinces the child that reading is a horrible experience to be avoided at all costs, and to be avoided, so, no practice/ means no improvement!
"Therapy Work"~~this has always been a very proven success~~a dog does not judge~~and so ~~~take the dog/dogs into the schoolroom---have the children read to the dogs~~the dogs do not laugh or make fun of the children !!
This program was started in Columbia co. here in Florida, after hearing that it had been used in other areas of the U.S. with much success~(that sucess being with children that were to be "held back" in school, but, after the "reading dogs program" many of them not only could read, spoke in a voice that could be heard ie: self esteme level had risen, but, these children were promoted to the next level of school~~Some of these children were found, after testing, to be of the advanced level and so were put in a special education class !! It seems that the only thing that was holding them back was the lowered self esteme, and the inability to read  !!
How  Interesting !  The program will be presented to Our schools here in Alachua County on Monday !
Have We found another use for Our boys and Girls ?  We know how good they are with children~~

Pam Croy
PYRALIVE@AOL.COM