Re: [pyrnet] Cancer

In a message dated 12/9/2002 1:44:10 PM Eastern Standard Time, wetheri@emmanuel.edu writes:

Thanks for putting this in perspective, Linda--statistically, we must be
getting close to having a pyr die from something else--all four have ended
up with cancer so far.
I did find a statistic on the web when doing some research recently which
stated that 50% of all dogs over 10 develop some form of cancer, and that
it's the 2nd leading cause of death (after accidents) overall in dogs.
Ann W

We have kept over  30 dogs in residence now for at least 20 years.  Most live well over 10 years, mostly 12 to 15 years.  That is probably about 100 dogs plus over these years and in the 30 years we have been in the dog game the number is probably 120 or more dogs.  To date no bone cancer.  Some tumors that may have been cancerous on very old dogs in about 3 or 4 dogs.  That's it, so our data would skew the averages way toward lower incidence.  BTW, we feed commercial kibble and supplement.  We also feed high protein high fat in young dogs, show dogs being actively shown, and lactating bitches.  No problems at all, in fact our dogs on this food are always in the best condition of the lot.

My personal bias (feeling now at this point of experience) is that these problems are related to genetics and to a lesser extent those detrimental recessive genes.  One of the main researchers at the University of Colorado in Cancer study made the statement that all cancer is "heritable" although it may not be directly genetic.  Obviously a very complicated subject that we will not answer with a single subject like diet and even commercial food as there are too many type of genetics that influence this picture (genes that turn off this property or is resistant to that property, etc.).

I think if my experience had all my dogs die of cancer I would also try many things to stop or lower it (maybe diet as well).  I would though suggest trying also a different genetic makeup going forward with a lower incidence of occurrence.  My bias (again) is this would do more for the incidence incurred than the type food feed.  JMHO.

Joe