Re: [pyrnet] thyroid question

<<BTW, there are ways to help thyroid function that do not involve giving
meds. Certain foods in the diet can support and increase thyroid function.
Tracy, are you on this list?>>Barb Bowes

Yep, I am here <g>

First step always with thyriod is to abide by Vets advice regarding need for
meds.  Get the dog on the meds if it is recommended.  You can monitor from
there to ensure the dog is recieving the dosage it needs.

Seems many Pyrs can be low normal though - whether this indicates a problem
with thyroid or what is 'normal' is debatable I guess.

I am aware of quite a number of hypothyroid dogs who when fed a raw diet
were able to reduce the dosage requirements for thyroid meds and in some
cases after varying periods of time no longer needed them.  Not all dogs
placed on this kind of diet have this response, but the number who do make
it worth considering (IMO at any rate).  Iodine and selenium in the diet can
be particular factors so supplementing a raw diet with kelp and things like
fish is suggested.  Here is some reading that may be useful:
http://www.bowchow.com/specific.html

Those wanting to talk to other Pyr owners feeding a raw diet to find out
what is involved are welcome to join the rawpyrs list:
www.yahoogroups.com/groups/rawpyrs
A note for all - this is our new list! <g>  We are currently in the process
of moving to yahoogroups from our current BARFPyrs list at smartgroups.  All
current members of BARFPyrs as well as any new members are welcome to join
us.

Tracy Bassett
Murrumbateman, Australia
espinay@bigpond.com