Re: [pyrnet] Rimadyl?!?

Roger:
I too worry about the Rimadyl, as it has done a number on the liver on a couple of my old beagles.  But since it was the last of their days, we elected to keep them comfortable till the time came to make a decision to euthenize.  In that instance I am glad I made the decision, but for a younger dog such as yours i think I'd go a safer route.

We recently had a guest speaker who came to our kennel club and gave a talk to us in chiropractic care.  I would not ordinarily have paid much attention, except that he came with some of his clients who were agility dogs who had been injured.  They even showed a video someone had been shooting when one of the dogs was injured.  Their stories were nothing short of amazing.  One lady discussed how limping of her border collie was due to dislocated toes (certainly not something the average vet would find) that the vet/chiropracter found on exam. Another dog had a pinched nerve in her neck and was refusing jumps.
The last dog just seemed to have a funny limp, and months of rest and drugs from her regular vet seemed to do nothing.  She was at the riding stable one day and they were all talking about so & so coming in to adjust the polo ponies.  She laughed but in speaking with them realized that the horse that had been injured was sound as a dollar in minutes.  She took Leap to see him, and he found 3 vertibra out of place in her spine, just in front of her hips. She had been limping due to a pinched nerve, not a bone or muscle injury as her vet had thought.  So while I tend to be a skeptic, this is something that once shown to you, makes you sit up and notice.  I will now try the alternative method if I have problems with a dog again.

just food for thought.

Sharon Hodgdon
Sovreign Pyrs
FL