Re: [pyrnet] Rimadyl?!?

Roger Poole wrote:

My 6 1/2 yr. old pyr just started limping (left front leg shoulder or wrist - not her pads). My obedience trainer suggests I get her on this med and glucosamine. But frankly, there's >>> a lot <<< of negative info about this drug on the web and I'd thinking I'd rather not go that route. Sticking to Aspirin. (Definitely yes to the glucosamine, but no to the Rimadyl). I hate to say this, but I don't trust my Vet to make the right decision. Anyone had any experience with this drug?

Ultimately we're out of training and any activity for several months and if it doesn't resolve itself, I'll end up going the X-rays route but only probably with a new 'yet to be determined' vet.

We had to pull out of our first round of trials for our CDX. So discouraging, she was so ready and then to go lame. UGH!
Thanks all.
Roger Poole
roger@poole.com

My 14 year old golden retriever was on rimadyl and it made a big difference. If you are treating for arthritis then it helps or an inflammation in the joints. Anything else it probably won't help. It made the difference for mu dog to be able to walk or not. Once she was up and going I did not give her the rimadyl. I found keeping her going was the biggest factor. I find weather does affect the arthritis. Have you had any sudden changes? Warming up? An x-ray would give you answers. Once the weather stabilizes so should the arthritis. I personally take MSM and Glucosamine. It works great. We also feed it to our older dogs. I highly recommend it. It does take time to notice any improvement, 4-6 weeks min.
Karen