RE: [pyrnet] Re: pyrnet-l-digest.20050202

<< Your stories also lead me to wonder why it seems so many Pyrs have to go
through the surrender/foster/adoption process? >>

Nancy, it is not just Pyrs that have to go through this process - it is all dogs. There are just so many people that do not consider that they are taking responsibility for another life when they bring a pet into their home. They seem to think of a pet as this years must-have accessory and don't think of the fact that they might actually have to spend time with it

I used to live in a condo complex with Pico. I walked him twice a day and there was this guy (newly arrived tenant) that just fell in love with him. He asked me all kinds of questions about the breed, always came over when I walked by to say hello to the dog. One day, he came out of his unit with a small white fuzzy puppy. He had gone to a pet shop and saw a white fuzzy dog and bought it. Unfortunately, the idiot had forgotten what kind of dog Pico was and he ended up purchasing an American Eskimo or Samoyed (I can't remember which one) by mistake. Needless to say, he got tired of bringing the puppy out 5-10 times a day and the puppy was gone after 3 months. He said he gave it away to a good friend, who knows.

It just goes to show that there are a lot of people that put no thought into the acquisition of a pet.

Elaine and Pico (the bumble)