Re: [pyrnet] CARE: Moving to a new home

My DH says he is going to put a much more effective sign on the gate.  " Wife with bad hair day -- Enter at your own risk".
So Funny!  Sounds like our husbands agree that WE are likely to be more dangerous than our sweet pyrs.  At least in my case, it's actually true.  I'm a self-proclaimed hermit and don't like to be bothered.  I stay up all night working and sleep till noon.  Don't answer the phone and DO NOT have a cell phone.  I rarely go any place - hate to leave home because everything I like is here.  I'm always really busy doing something few people even comprehend.
    Out here in the woods we have all kinds of varmits to deal with and I'm fully armed - high velocity sling shot, paint ball gun, and up.   (The grandkids get a kick out of my "arsenal".)
    We're both hearing impaired.  Our dogs have very real jobs. Our aging Mini-Pin is as crabby as I am, but does her in-house listening job very well.  Ombre is primary guardian of the back half of the property (6' fence) where all the domestic critters are kept in their various fancy abodes.  We can both hear her barking (and she does it often) without our aids. :)
    I've always worried what she would do if a complete stranger just walked through the gate into her domain.  We needed a large dog for guard duty (coyotes don't even try to dig under the fence, and deer have no desire to jump over it) who would protect the small livestock without considering them prey, and whose size would deter invasion.  A Pyr is perfect for our needs; but,  I'd hate to be the person she considered a threat!!
    Just don't want legal issues over a big dog, because it's always the dog that loses in those battles.  So, "Do Not Open Gate" in our case, could mean "don't let the chickens out" OR "we fear you will step in dog doodoo". :)
Nancy