Re: [pyrnet] Skin Problems

<< Although it has been 2 weeks since he began treatment and he is no longer
scratching, the coat is not really growing back except for a few thin tufts.
Does anyone have any ideas about what to do to help him grow his coat
back?>> Charlotte Perry

Thin tufts after only 2 weeks is in my experience normal and a pretty good
sign that things are on the improve.  Even a clipped dog with a healthy coat
will not have major coat growth after two weeks, and the hair you are
talking about has to regenerate from the roots, not just from skin surface
level.  Think of regrowth after waxing your legs etc for example.  It takes
a while for the new hair to show on the surface again.

I remember with my rescue girl Lisa Jane who came to me with no coat and
mange over a majority of her body.  It was a few months before the coat had
regenerated to any major degree (and then all of a sudden it just seemed to
be there <g>).  My suggestion is just hang in there. As long as the dog is
on a healthy diet and recieving the medical care it needs, you will probably
have healthy coat before too long.  If you want to add things to the diet
which promote healthy coat growth though you could perhaps add fish oil
(omega 3) and/or perhaps things like eggs and sardines.  Vit C can be useful
too as it is good for stress.

Tracy Bassett
Murrumbateman, Australia
espinay@bigpond.com