RE: [pyrnet] Orthopedic question

Title: Message
Was the convalescence difficult for your babies?

Shari;

Actually, the recovery was very challenging for one of my Mals and not so much the other.  However, I will admit it was probably harder on me than it was on them!  It just upsets me so to see any canine companion in pain or discomfort......however, with proper care, restricted activity (which is hard for any large breed dog), and following the vet's instruction, both recoveries went as planned.  My one Mal did not have any visible limp whatsoever, after about 8 months, but the other had permanent slight limps, as she had both hips done.  It is very important to follow post surgical instructions during their recovery, and hopefully you don't live in an area where there will be snow and/ice during the recovery period, as that offers additional challenges.  My current Malamute, Raisa, also has severe hip dysplasia, but is past the point of any surgical correction.  There are many, many alternative options available today for treatment of hip dysplasia besides the surgery, (which I have tried) but I know Ben's is a different case.  Is Ben currently on any type of RX anti-inflammatory such as Rimadyl or Deramaxx to help with his comfort until a decision is made on his treatment options?  If not, you may want to discuss with your vet to help him with pain management.

Beth