Re: [WW] Future Lines

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeremy Reaban" <jer@connectria.com>
To: <weirdwars@gamerz.net>
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 4:12 AM
Subject: Re: [WW] Future Lines

It's already been done.  It's called D&D.  All you need to do is focus the
game on which period and cultures you want.

> I think the trouble with doing too many wars in the last 250 years or
> so, is that they would all tend to run together.  As it is, the
> American Civil War kind of overlaps with Deadlands...and I'm not sure
> many people really know what the Boxer Rebellion was/is (I know I'm
> very fuzzy on it).

Well, for WW-ACW, I don't think he said it here, but Mr. McGothlin posted
over on the Deadlands list that it's going to be a very different version of
the ACW than in Deadlands.

As for them blending together, I don't think that they would.  The advances
in weapons technology and tactics between the periods is enough to set each
period apart.  Just look at the American Civil War as opposed to the
Napoleonic Wars, for example.   The ACW saw the last great Napoleonic style
charge, on July 3, 1863, and the fact that Pickett, Trumbull, and Pettigrew
all took such terrible casualties shows exactly how the tactics of 1807-1815
were insufficent to cope with the weapons technology of 1865 (breech loading
Sharps Carbines, and the signficantly more accurate rifled muskets of the
later era...)  As for the Boxer Rebellion, that would be a good one, but it
should be combined with the other notable conflicts of the last part of the
19th/first part of the 20th Century, such as the Spanish American War, the
Boer war, and the like.

Personally, the periods I would love to see WW books for would be the
British Colonial Wars (Zulu wars and Boer Wars, for example) and the
Napoleonic Wars.