Re: [WW] Future Lines

At 04:12 AM 2/20/2002,Jeremy Reaban wrote:
>As it is, the
>American Civil War kind of overlaps with Deadlands.

         Having written both the DL and WW versions of The War, here's why
I feel they don't overlap:

1) There're no steampunk devices in Weird War Between the States (WWBTS).
2) Slavery has been abolished in DL, but is still an issue in WWBTS. This
dramatically changes the motivations and interests of the parties (and
characters) involved.
3) Even without the steampunk gadgets, the technology is significantly
different. (Trust me, the first time you have to take out a monster with a
one-shot muzzle-loading musket instead of a 15-shot Winchester, you'll know
what I mean.;-)
4) The arcane backgorunds will be vastly different, in conception,
mechanics and numbers.
5) Comparatively, WWBTS has far less metaplot (bordering on none).
6) History as we know it will be preserved in WWBTS; we sort of took a
hammer to it in DL.
7) DL is a Western RPG with strong supernatural elements; WWBTS is a War
RPG with subtle supernatural elements. They "feel" differently, and play
differently.
8) They have different rules engines.
9) It's just my opinion, but The War itself never got the full-on treatment
it deserved in DL. No such worries in WW.;-)
10) Because Stone Cold said so.

         I appreciate everyone's concerns, and please rest assured I
respect everyone's opinions on this matter. Still, I implore you: do not
pre-judge WWBTS, and just wait until you see it. I hope you'll like it, but
if you don't, I promise it won't be because the game is essentially
Deadlands 2: Electric Boogaloo.
         Thanks for reading, all.

Deo Vindice,
Mr. Christopher L. McGlothlin, M.Ed.