Re: [werewolf] end game stalemate, even number of players mode=day

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 07:20:19AM -0500, Ted Rathkopf wrote:

> I'm not a fan of this.  If you are going to do this, you need to
> implement time limits in ALL phases of the game, since that would be
> realistic.  But I still don't like it.

I totally agree.  The game should have default time limits of, say, 24 hours for voting and 12 hours for night.  The game challenger should have flags to set them.  "-day=8", "-night=2".

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 08:16:15AM -0500, Ted Rathkopf wrote:

> I don't want to do a lot of coding to the old code with the new code
> out there, so is the new code ready for prime time as is?

I haven't heard from Geoff about that lately.  It would be nice to switch to sharkey's refactored werewolf, though.

> To do:
>
> -lynchtie
>
>   Resolve a tie by lynching both players.
>   IMO this should only happen if there are only two factions, and one
>   faction consists entirely of bad guys.  Otherwise it could be abused.

Very true.  Somebody commented that just having the day expire would solve the problem of factions.

In addition, if we ever do "the mayor" for pardoning or some sort of daytime "vigilante", it would be easier to fit these in if we don't muck up end of day voting.

> -dayend NNNN
> -nightend NNNN
>
>   The day/night ends at NN:NN.  Since there isn't a timer
>   mechanism, I plan on having it just checked with each incoming mail.

Yes, but that raises a point.  You will need to give yourself the ability to end a round or even the game on any random chat coming in.  We want to avoid making a bunch of spaghetti in there, so perhaps the front-end of the code needs to be rewritten so we
don't just jump off to "sub Chat" and be done with it.  (I realize I'm not being very clear here, but bear with me.)  Geoff suggested that we also queue up messages going out in some way, so we can send out that incoming chat but also build in "oh by the way,
the day ended."

>   DISCUSS: Should their be a minimum day/night length?  Perhaps 1/2 of
>   the difference between the day and night end?  We don't want a night
>   phase to end by action immediately before the dayend time, and have
>   a day triggered immediately, and vice versa.

That's good.  I think the day/night times should be number of hours rather than a time, though.

> Vote Queueing.

I doubt I personally would do this if it's out there.

> Moot Queue messages.

Yes, if you mean something like "Thanks for queueing, but it's just not your night."

> Longer range todo:
> Decaying illusion

Sure.

> Bite (happy?)

Yes.

* "note" command so living players can send messages to the peanut gallery.
* should subscribers be allowed to haunt?  chat when the game is over?
* short comments by challenger that would show up in "werewolf games" list and on the board, for alias themes, start time

-mark