Re: New Idea (was: Re: [DL] Combined format?$$$$$$$$$$ (GOFF & SHANE))

John Goff wrote:

> Wow--that's a long post. I won't try to reply to all of it, but I will give
> you some feedback on a couple of points. :-)
>
> would
> > be more then enough content to fill 96 pages for each setting, and each
> setting
> > could be released every three months for around 15 bucks.  Weird West, in
> > January, April, July, and October, Wasted west in February, May, August,
> and
> > November, and Way out West in March, June, September, and December.  And
> still
> > toss in the full source books as necessary.
> >

> Boy--you want me to work myself into an early grave, don't you? :-)
>
> I have to be honest and say I don't know that I could keep that sort of
> production schedule up for more than a couple of months--without the full
> sourcebooks! Also, that sort of output would drain our resources to the
> breaking point.

I guess I didn't think about that, I thought 1 book every 3 months, with a chunk
of it wouldn't be too bad (1 books per brand manager).  Maybe every other month
and throw in some full "One topic" books?

> <snip>
> Additionally, the $15 breakpoint isn't cost effective--we've looked at
> something similar in the past year, and found that at best, we could
> _possibly_ get the cover price down to $18. We're pretty sure losing 1/4 of
> the book for a 10% price break wouldn't really endear us with you guys. :-)

Well I was just guesstimating, but if you drop the books to every other month
and kept them at 128 for 20 wouldn't be a problem (at least not for me, I don't
know about you guys).  I don't know all the ins and outs of your business, which
is why I was just offering suggestions.

> Just so the record's straight--we're well aware that the biggest draw of our
> games is the Weird West. As such, it's fully intended to get the lion's
> share of the combined sourcebook. I've no intention of an equal 33 1/3%
> split between the lines
> <snip>

which, I'm sorry to say, would leave the HOE fanboys with even less usable
stuff.  I was just trying to suggest a way for everyone to get there own
separate line book.

Anyways, I've probably aired more than enough of my thoughts for today, but I
hope you will still consider the idea.

--Dirk