[PyrNet-L] RE: pinch and electric collars

I keep hearing comparisons of shock collars or pinch collars to ball bats to
the head.  "This is using electric shock to make the dog do what you want it
to do!!!"  Are we supposed to just sit our dogs down and explain very
patiently to them why they should not pull, why they should not chase
(insert prey object), why barking will get us thrown out of our house or
sued/harassed by our neighbors?  I'm sorry, but, as much as we love them and
admire their intelligence, they are not fuzzy humans and they do not
understand.  Even if we wish to treat them as children, we restrain/aver
children from dangerous or anti-social activities.  The more immediate the
danger or the greater the anti-social behavior, the greater the aversion we
may tend to apply.  A child runs past you off the curb to the street.  You
scoop them up by the shirt, give them a swat on the rump and turn them back
to the yard.  As the recipient of any number of swats as a small child I can
attest it hurts.  But they never run the risk of killing me like that car
would have.

The pinch collar is not inhumane.  In fact, quite the opposite.  Studies
have shown that the choke collar is very likely (49 of 50 dogs in the study)
to cause neck/throat injury.  The pinch collar is not (2 dogs in 50 and one
was believed to be congenital).  Yes, it pinches. . .  but only when they
pull.  The use of a pinch collar can lead to more freedom for the dog.  I,
at 50, am beginning to be bothered by arthritis.  A big dog pulling on the
lead causes pain in shoulder, back and knees.  It got to the point where a
walk around the block was painful.  At this point there were not a lot of
walks in the park. The use of first a Halti (head collar) and then a pinch
collar has stopped the pulling and the pain.  Walks are now a lot more
pleasant for both of us.  And a lot more frequent.

Would the electric collar bother you so much if you considered it to be a
looooooong lead?  Now I would agree that the collar should only be used when
the dog is in sight, or you may have a big problem with timing.  (gee,
Daddy, why did you shock me when I was coming back?!?!?  Am I not supposed
to come back?!?!?)  And I would not put an anti-bark collar on a dog when I
was not home, because that is when he is supposed to bark and keep away
predators (4 and 2 legged).

Would you prefer the citronella collars for anti-bark?  Given the relative
olfactory capacities of dogs/humans I suspect this is rather like having the
ammonia capsule broken under your nose when you start to faint.

Personally, I would always use the least aversive method that works.  It
comes down to if you don't like a specific training technique, don't use it.

Jack Mowery
jlmowery@amaonline.com