Re: [PyrNet-L] RE: pinch and electric collars

Hi Jack,

You say in your post that this is not like using a baseball bat and I agree.
The question I was asking was "When does this "training" method become
abuse?"  If this collar doesn't work, would you use a stronger one?  How
strong would you go before you decided it was cruel?  This was the point I
was trying to make.  You say this is not like a bat but that "This is using
electric shock to make the dog do what you want it to do!!!"  My point IS
that  "This is using electric shock to make the dog do what you want it to
do!!!"

I admit I too was skeptical at first.  I had occation to be situated next to
a pure-motivation trainer at a doggy demo I attended a few years ago.
During her demo, she explained that motivation worked on absolutely every
dog.  To be blunt, I told her I didn't believe it and that Pyrs were too
strong and too stubborn to train well.  Also that I was sure she only
brought her most well trained dogs to the demo.  She challenged me to bring
a dog of my choice to the rest of the demos that week and during the 2, 15
minute sessions per day that dog would be trained to sit, stay, down, come
and heel almost to perfection without any force of any kind being used.  I
accepted her challange since we had just had a dog come into rescue that I
had literally picked up 2 hours prior to being put down due to his hyper
behavior, destructiveness and inability to be trained.   Using both food and
praise motivation she trained that dog to do everything she promised.  I was
stunned.   To this day, many years later he will still do everything he was
taught during a total of 2.5 hours.

Having since seen it work time and again, I also now believe that it will
work on any dog.

I do agree completely with your opinion of choke collars.  I was given a
study by Cornell University to read once on the damage done by improperly
used choke collars and the results and pretty scary.  Having said that, if
you take the time to properly train your dog they will have no reason to
pull.

If as you say you wish to "always use the least aversive method that works"
then find a motivational trainer in your area and give it a try.  If as you
seem to believe it doesn't work then you are no further behind than when you
started.  If on the other hand it does work than you don't need to continue
to inflict unnecessary pain on your dog.

One last thought and then I will shutup.  What it really comes down to is
making your life with your pet as pleasant as possible for both of you.

By the way, I mean no insult or disrespect to any of you who disagree with
my opinion of things and I hope you will take these thoughts in the spirit
they are meant.

Take Care Everybody,
Doug Hustins,
Acroyar Great Pyrenees.