Re: [PyrNet-L] breeding question/showing

Stephanie,   I agree with you, this should not be happening.  But all too
often this occurs.  The attitude being that as long as it doesn't occur
in the ring, it is somehow Ok.  I know of one dog, back in the 80's in
Texas that routinely attacked and severely mauled several dogs outside
the ring.  He went on to become one of the most heavily titled
( big money backing him to campaign him ) in the breed.  You could hear
the roar and yells all over the arena, and you knew exactly what was
happening,  even if you were not close enough to see it.   I absolutely
believe that show dogs should be on their best behavior at all times, and
never would condone it in my dogs.  It also seems at  the very least a
courtesy that you owe other exhibiters.  Alas, there are some real crass
people at dog shows as well as everywhere else.
Fortunately most are truly wonderful folks.  I did have one owner of a R.
Ridgeback stick her foot out and plant a big dirty footmark on my
Mastiff's hip, while we were walking by.  Evidently she didn't trust her
own dog to behave, and wanted mine further from hers ( we were just
walking by headed to our ring, and it can get crowded at times ).
Bear never batted an eye, but I was rather annoyed.

So, I do agree with you, it says nothing for any breed to have ill
behaved dogs at events.  And even among the sparing terriers, all dogs
should be controlled!   I.M.O.  Cindy.

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas