Re: [pyrnet] Breeding?

----- Original Message -----
From: "jodi l gordon" <okduh@juno.com>
To: <pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2000 10:38 AM
Subject: Re: [pyrnet] Breeding?

> Sorry if ya'll miss read my intention. What I was trying to say was that
> all the info I could find was about skipping heats and nothing about when
> one stops breeding. I was just hoping it was not a dangerous thing for my
> 5 yo to have been bred so late. Heck I just got her just over 2 mos ago.
I figured if I could get an answer for future references then It
> would help me in my research on breeding. Not for Libby, for I feel she
> has been through enough and needs to enjoy the rest of her life off a
> chain and no abuse.
>
> Jodi

I am glad to hear that you are not intending to breed your pyr. I would hope
that you never intend to breed any dog. Breeding takes a lot of time,
caring, research, and money. And is best left to the experts who have
devoted their lives to the protection and betterment of the breed. I would
wait until the pups are weaned and her milk dries up. You should definitely
try to have it done before she comes into heat again. I would also strongly
urge you to alter your other dogs. If the female is fixed that only works
until the next female in heat comes by. And then there are more puppies to
be responsible for. I would also urge you to be very careful with the
puppies when you place them. They should all be altered prior to placement
or should be placed with spay/neuter contracts. You should also ask for
personal and vet references from potential adopters. And should follow up
with these references. The final step should be to require a homecheck
before placement. And don't adopt to families without a securely fenced
yard. Pyrs are wanderers by nature and can not be taught to stay in a yard
without fencing. Some cannot be slowed down even with fencing. And if your
yard is not fenced it needs to be fenced post haste. For the protection of
your dogs. The puppies with also need shots and wormings and other vet care
before being placed in their new homes. I am sorry to sound rather rabid.
But I do dog rescue. Pyrs and Saints are the two breeds I do the most to
help. Although I will help with any animal that needs help. And I see the
sad and often tragic consequences of careless backyard breeders and
wonderful animals that come into rescue as walking skeletons from being
abused and neglected. So I tend to strongly advocate for the welfare of the
animal first.
Marie and Beau