Re: [pyrnet] Choke collar or Prong collar???

pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org writes:
> Since so many neck, back, trachea and
>other injuries are a result of choke chains, the prong is what we use when
>we go out in public with Bear.
This is what I've done with Paddington for years, Bridget, and it works
fine. He only needs to know that he has it on--he never pulls and I don't
have to worry about injuries. On the advice of our trainer, we purchased
only the medium-length prongs, despite his really heavy coat, and it's
adequate. In other situations he, like Bear, pulls very little and we use
a simple snap collar. Our trainer recommends the prong for all dogs, and
the way she introduces it is to *never* give the dog a correction with it,
but rather to give the dog a command to heel (being sure the dog
understands) and then to proceed at a regular pace. The dog gives itself
the correction if it doesn't go along!
Ann, Peg, Paddington and Ivy Rose