Re: [DL] Mad Scientists

I've found that one way to come up with gadget ideas is to take something
that the posse is doing in a mundane manner and  "improve" on the process.

For example, we used dynamite to blow up the tracks in order to get the
train to stop.  Such a primitive application of the laws of science can
surely be improved on - so there came to be the caloric sub-harmonic steam
engine output intensifier.
By transmitting waves of heat on to the moving train and adjusted to a
frequency to resonate with the boiler, the output of the steam engine can
be increased.  At high settings this increase will likely cause ruptures of
seals, fittings and various other malfunctions due to overpressure.
Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com
Deadlands fan site - http://www.darious.com/deadlands/index.html

My freshly made cross, my freshly dug grave,
I'm still a man but no longer a slave.
     Scarf Jones, The Railway of Death.  (Burma-Thailand railroad, WWII)

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Ralph Waldo Emerson:
It didn't cross the road; it transcended it.