Re: [PyrNet-L] Pyrenees en Guarde!

Cindy -

I wish I could take credit for the idea.

Actually I read the summary of a recent study that suggested that
children who weren't exposed to a certain amount of pathogens in their
environment had weaker immune systems.  (i.e. modern, sanitary
households)

I've forgotten just how they established it - but the suggestion was
that the developing immune system requires some external challenge to
'tune' up to the environment.

Seems I also saw something about the very strong immune systems in
carrion eaters - which would make sense.  They provide a very necessary
service to the environment and dispose of pathogens as a by product -
but wouldn't be able to do it with out an extraordinary immune system.

KenMc