Re: [pyrnet] GPCA

Jack & Charlotte Perry <pyreau@erols.com>

.  Still, I wonder if  allowing more people in and having them sign that
they will abide by the code of ethics might end up educating a lot more
breeders and would-be breeders.  If they turned out to be puppy-millers
they
can always be charged for violations under the code of ethics or the
constitution.>>

I admit that I find this sort of strange.  We take these people in, we ask
them to agree to abide by the Code and yet we do not give them a vote on
what laws they are governed by.  I suspect that there is some kind of
"legal" thing there.

<< Perhaps a much larger membership could generate more regional
activities.
Look how many more regional clubs have sprouted up in the last ten years.>>

Yes.  And in that time two have also *un* sprouted.  And growth occured
without the benefit of associate GPCA membership.  In at least two cases
the new clubs were more or less the direct result of the internet.  I
honestly think that Pyr owners in more remote parts of the country meet on
the lists.  GPCA membership would probably not bring that about.  "We" then
need to encourage these people to form clubs and support the efforts and
eventually help them to bring those new clubs to affiliation.  This was the
pattern with both Metro Atlanta and No. Florida.

<<    BTW, Linda is another one of the long-time GPCA members who has been
very
active with Pyrs as livestock guardian dogs for a long time.  Why is it
that
people who have and breed livestock guardian Pyrs think that the GPCA is
not
involved with guardian dogs?>>

Beats me, Charlotte, since most of the information that they use and give
out etc etc began in the GPCA.  And with Jeff and Roger who worked with us.

Linda (4 of whose last litter of 6 are now guarding stock.  3 with llamas,
1 with Boer goats.  One pup a pet and one going overseas as a breeding dog.
Pyrs do it all and the GPCA is there to help and promote)  Off soapbox.
:-))